Sunday, October 11, 2009

The Amazing Angel and Mortal Game

I woke up with bruises and blue blacks on myself today.

Nope, it wasn't because I slept violently, but it was "collected" from yesterday's carnival. It was held at Kampong Ubi Community Centre, and I was in my piercing (no, not roadsweeper) orange jersey. After all my games, which involved rolling, diving, and almost poking my hands into someone's nose- oh disgusting, I went to sit with Julie at some lamppost to watch the semi finals, and we talked a bit about the sUNIg games while watching my champion teammates zip across the basketball courts, and one in particular, in her own words, "running like a cheetah". Julie said that she thought Anti You was so "zhuai" because we were making so much noise on the bench during the finals. I compare that to today's carnival, where my teammates' faces were almost all black and frustrated, and it feels so different, so different.

Coming home, I went to re-read every single letter given to me during the sUNIg season. The champion team played the Angel-Mortal game again, and my mortal was someone close to me. My angel, on the other hand, called herself "Plaster", which made me believe, at first, was someone who has been around last year and who'd witnessed all my pathetic facial lacerations.

But no, it wasn't. I first began to suspect Shi Hui after my stuff to my angel never gets collected and my angel wrote about Shi Hui being a lousy defender. Cos nobody in this team will put their teammates down unless they're that mean or they're talking about themselves. So on a friday night, I bombarded the poor girl with so many questions on the way home from Boon Lay until she wanted to listen to her mp3 player. I even told her it's okay and she tried her best. I think she really broke down because she finally said, "Ya la. I'm your angel." But she was quick to say "Maybe" 3 seconds after that sentence.

In the meantime, I was trying to draw my mortal's attention away. And I succeeded, because she suspected Yan Yan as her angel. I also adopted Qinling, who was so sure that I was Ah Fang.

Then one day, Cynthia came and told me, point blank, that Shi Hui wasn't my angel. My angel was someone who asked Shi Hui to help her write during their "lim teh" sessions, hence the bad English. I wouldn't be convinced if not for Cynthia's innocent "xu sexy" bambi doe eyed face. And Ah Fang too, told me that my angel was someone else.

Two people popped up and adopted me. One was "adopted angel" and the other was "power angel".

For one week, I was confused. I decided to stop focusing on guessing for it killed my brain cells. I saw the items that Kalai gave on Shi Hui's bed and assumed Kalai was Shi Hui's mortal. However, after two sessions of intense Murderer, I realised that Cynthia was a fan of mind games. She also kept saying "you'll get a pleasant surprise when the time comes". And if her words were true, only Wan Mei and Kalai was my angel. But, Wan Mei never ever "lim teh". Then I thought about Kalai's angel. And remembered Xiao Hei was the bona fide angel of Kalai. One weeknight, I dreamt of Wan Mei as my angel. But it's impossible that it's Wan Mei. After thursday, I had a nagging suspicion that I've been right all along. Then, the night before Saturday, I dreamt of Shi Hui giving me a letter and telling me to read it.

Confused? It's the same feeling I had for the past few weeks.

And finally, by the power of deduction and powerful dreams, I was right. I feel so smart and it reaffirms Sigmund Freud's theories. But for your efforts, Lim Shi Hui, I give you and Cynthia credit. Made me confused for a while. Deanna Tan doesn't really like to think so much, but she had to for this game.

So, here's the 正常 photo you wanted. Of my very cute face and your 正常 face. Haha. I love this game. It makes everyone in the team somehow connected to another person, thereby producing the very loud "zhuai" cheering effect at the end of it, cos we're all just cheering really loudly for our angels and mortals out there.



Amanda described this angel as the "understated player" in yesterday's games because she never ever shoots unless she cannot find people to pass to and she defended like mad. For me, I describe this person as my new found friend whom I love to bully (outside the court la). She's power angel too.

So er... go go power angel.



This is my mortal! While trying to put on a scary face, and I thought it's a really good scary face. She's been with me through thick and thin, and yesterday, I talked to Cheryl Yap, an graduate of NIE, she also told me how she didn't really like the team when she was playing in 2007, and that she was glad it's much better now. So Zhi Hui! Arn't you glad we stayed? Sunig is her last season though. Next season, I'll be the only Year 4. Boo.



My adopted angel. She's none other than the most hardworking captain Ah Fang! Xu Sexy and her had a very big responsibility since last year to put the team back together, and they did it with so much success! Therefore, I hold her in high respect and esteem.

As long as she doesn't call me by what Yaqi calls me.



Qinling! My adopted mortal and my SRJC junior. People have said we have similar traits. Don't you know, all the people who come from SR are this fun-loving and funny? Haha. She's a roar to be with, and she has the most classic imagination ever. Because her angel, Ah Fang, always gave her items which she give, but it comes back bigger or more in quantity, she wanted to give a $10 note so that she'll get back $100.



Last but not least, Yan Yan! Who was sort of an angel, in a more biblical sense. She walked me through the road as much as Felicia and Joyce did, pushing me to go to church and giving me so much goodies.

I really love this team.

Sometimes, people forget the friendship they forge while they build a team. Sometimes, people stop being passionate about the things they once loved. It may be inevitable, but it's sad.

For me, I hope I'll never stop being passionate about the things I love, bruises and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment