Wednesday, October 12, 2011

God=Good

It was morning. I was putting the hard disk with all my life's work- ok, I exaggerate, it's only 1 project- into my pretty little backpack when my hand slipped.

Piang.

Shit happened. The hard disk that has my final cut pro file went toot, toot, toot, toot, and stopped turning.

Okay, don't panic. Go to work. Maybe it'll be okay when I get to work.

So I went to work, set up my laptop, plugged in my hard disk. And waited. And waited. Switched the hard disk off, then on, and waited. And waited.

Then almost pulled my hair out. Nothing. The computer couldn't even detect the hard disk, which makes my $150 Data Rescue software useless.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo was the word I was looking for. Could have gone on even longer. I wish. But I'm not one to mope and cry while time was running out. I had to present this edit by this evening! All I needed was my fcp file. I had back ups of everything else. Just that darn fcp file stuck in the doomed hard disk.

So I made a few calls, checked out some Sim Lim Square websites, and whisked over. While in the cab, I asked Felily and Joyce to pray. There was nothing, nothing else to do, but pray. Oh, how I wish I could pry open that stupid $477 LACIE hard disk and magically set all its parts back so that it won't go "toot toot toot too", but no, I can't.

Nothing else to do, but pray. Really, really hard.

I went up to the 5th floor, where there were some repair shops, got this chap who say they'll look at it and call me within an hour or two to see if they can fix it, then I went to get lunch. I switched on my laptop after lunch, intending to continue on some graphics for the same project when...

Usually, there's an "autosave vault" function in Final Cut. I always direct the "autosaved" files, which are files progressively saved as you do your project, into the hard disk I work on. It's a habit, and I always tell my interns to do the same, because it will take up space if you put it on your laptop.

But this time, THIS time, I forgot that I directed all my files to my laptop, when I had to do some minor editing the day before. And then I forgot to switch it back to the hard disk.

So it means that whatever I worked on yesterday, was "autosaved" in a folder in MY DESKTOP.

When I opened the folder in anticipation, and saw the file I needed so badly sitting there, comfortably, in my own desktop, I was just overwhelmed. I double-clicked it, and it opened. Like magic. It was there, everything was there.

Now all I needed to do was to reconnect everything, which wasn't hard because I had everything else backed up.

And there, relief sets in. Relief that God always have my back. Praise the Lord and His awesomeness.

Also thank you Felily and Joyce!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment