Friday, January 22, 2010

The Summary

Year 1 Post

A little season, a long way.


The university has clinched championships in the Institute-Varsity-Polytechnic Games yesterday. We've got what we wanted.

On looking at my first ever gold medal from a major basketball tournament, it has been a season where I learnt and immersed myself in the higher levels of play. Even though I did not feel as bonded to the team (a miracle does not one month make), I take in the joy of knowing these 14 or more individuals and the way they taught me to play the game in an entirely new level.

It amounted to something. Something that I gained, and something that I can give in future for my team.

This season, it was a time to cheer my friends on, and it was a time where my friends cheered me on. Thank you guys, for taking time to watch me play every game. And for the mad cheering that I could hear.

And as we wave goodbye to this season and welcome the next, which I believe will come soon enough, here's some parting words in french, "Au Revoir".

Year 2 Post

Going back through a time machine




As with Christina Aguilera, there needs to be a time where we go back to basics.

Basketball-wise, it's time to go back to that point where we decide this was our sport to live and die by, instead of a certain lil footy sport that seemed oh-so-attractive. NO. Basketball was what we chose.

That's the time where the simplest, purest pleasure was experienced by the first proper lay up executed.

Or the first shot that went in for the first game that you played.

Pleasure aside, there were also the sad times. Times where you slap yourself as a bench warmer because, seriously, you can't do anything to help the team if you want to and the coach uses his authority to make known to you that you can't do anything. Times where you question if you really belong some in a team which you barely squeak during training.

What I've learnt so far is never to say you're not good enough. Being good enough is only a matter of time and effort.

Play the game when you're playing the game. Nothing else matters.

Way to commemorate my 8th year of playing basketball, huh?

Year 3 Post

We are the Champions.



It was the Global Immersion Programme talk that very morning. The speaker was animated, keeping the crowd entertained with anecdote after anecdote of the things in Shanghai. There I was, sitting on the third row, trying hard to focus on his floppy grey hair and the way they reacted whenever he moved.

I yawned. My eyes are droopy, but I shook my head to keep awake. It wasn't the speaker's fault, but mine. I had slept at 5am, finishing up a video conceived by Cynthia and Felicia so that I can show it tonight, after the IVP finals.

I didn't know I had drifted off, and only found out when I heard a voice that said "Nan Da..." It was only when I wanted to open my mouth to say "Jia You", that I awoke and found myself at an inappropriate place to shout the "Jia you". Now the speaker was talking about doing business in Shanghai, or something along that lines. I listened.

Then, instinctively, my shoulders moved. My body was trying to do a fake. Wait, I reminded myself, I'm not at the basketball court now. I'm in a bloody auditorium, with Joyce dozing off beside me.

It was weird, but it made me smile under my breath.

Fast forward to 8pm later, we were all psyched up for the final game. Us versus (reverse) SUN. SUN was a powerhouse team, no doubt, and brimming with stars. They crushed all their previous opponents in the tournament, not just crush anyway, they steamrolled them. With nifty pick and rolls, and a penchent for fast passes and shooting, their offense moves killed the defence of many teams in the first quarter.

We were a different team altogether. Drafted into the "Group of Death", where two teams were in the top four last season, we had to play every game carefully. There were detractors all around, such as Mr Jerkface, saying that we'd never survive the first round. Our team was also different. Every victory was a hard fought game, where we always clung to our lead till the last whistle. By the end of the first round, we did the impossible by becoming top of our group.

That was because we found the winning formula.

The answer to winning was simple. It wasn't just about the stronger players in the team, whether they performed well individually or not. It wasn't a calculation, to see whose bench players are stronger or weaker. It wasn't about the 5 people on court, whether they worked well with each other.

You see, basketball was not meant to be played with 5 people on each team. It is meant to be played with 15.

From the first game to our last, one could feel all 15 players on court. We shouted ourself hoarse during every match, from the first quarter to the last. The five players who represented us could hear our voices, and they could feel our belief. We never gave up during any matches. All of us had the same thing in mind. There we were, killing the opponents who only played with 5.

There was many tricks to make 15 become a team. Throughout the tournament, we played the Angel-Mortal game. We had training in between matches. We had dinner together after training. We played 7-level Pig. We played hide-and-seek. We had a sleepover. We played Taboo, Twister and Hide-and-Seek.

All of us became friends.

As friends, we started having inside jokes. Our captain is Ah Fang, and Cynthia is the no. 1 in 笨笨排行旁. Pey Pey emits light, and Jayne's hair may be a wig. Pin is too young for her age and Bao Shuang has face spasms. Kalai loves to dance as much as Xiao Hei loves to bounce. We strive to have beautiful endings with WanMei and Yan Yan wins hands down for being the loudest. Kathrin is practising her "Nan Da Jia You", and Zhi Hui is the glue that holds us. Belicia shows us where's the love, and Pris is Babarella. Jean and Michelle are our pillars. As for me, I live in the "mole-ment". And of course, our beloved Coach, also known as Charlie (we're Charlie's Angels) always provide us with fruits for thoughts like "Do you gets it?" and "Walk your talk."

Therefore, we went into the finals, knowing that this would be the biggest advantage we'll have over the SUN.

The game started. Jayne tipped the ball, but none of our team players got to it. As the oppenents started their 1st play, the whole SRC suddenly boomed with our voices. "DEFENCE, DEFENCE!" We shouted. I swore it was the loudest ever. As much as I could be wrong, I did feel that the opponents were taken aback by the ferocious screaming of our team.

We went on a 7-nil run. The spirits were high.

After a while, they managed to rebound back and were neck-and-neck. We would pull away with 10 points, but they always managed to close the gap fast. We had a few shots in which were quite ambiguous too. The ball would dance around the rim for a while, twirl a little, but it went in. We call that "home advantage".

During the fourth quarter, in the last 2 minutes of the game, we were still neck-and-neck. However, the difference between our opponents and us began to show. Their five people looked frustrated. Their bench was quiet. Our bench, on the other hand, were just making as much noise as we can. For every free throw they get, we'd go "REBOUND BLOCKOUT REBOUND BLOCKOUT" as much as we can. With every ball we got in, everyone was jumping. The last minute came, and the bench held hands and stood. 50 seconds left and we were leading by 3. 15 seconds left, we were still leading. They started to foul us, forcing time to stop. There was a time out, where we were all jumping like monkeys already. Coach has to shush us to talk. Cynthia had two free throws and the whole bench shouted "Just put it in!" (another inside joke) while laughing among ourselves. Yes, she put them all in. We led by 5.

2 seconds. Jayne put in a lay-up and was fouled. 60-53, the scoreboard read. We were already jumping for joy. The bench were hugging each other. She shot. It rebounded and landed somewhere. The buzzer sounded. And then, the entire bench erupted.

It was the most surreal feeling. We all rushed out, and everyone hugged each other in a mass hug. We were screaming like mad, and it was fantastic. After shaking hands with our opponents, we proceeded to Tau Pok our coach- yes, only when you win Championships can you do that to your coach- who, poor him, almost suffocated and crushed by our weights. Bel said," I've never been so happy before to be sitting on the bench," and I agreed with her totally.

After having 2 trainings a day, 3 trainings a week in December, including Christmas Eve and New Year's eve, trainings in January in the midst of the tournament, we've done it. The blood, sweat, tears and laughter paid off. I couldn't be prouder to be in this team.

We went to Geylang for supper, my eyes nearly closing from the lack of sleep. We whispered to each other, "hey, you know what?" and when the latter asked "what", we'd shout in the poor person's ear, "WE WON!"

Last night, as my head finally hit the bed at 4am, I fell asleep with a huge grin on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment