Sunday, January 17, 2010

Asian Cinema Week



I was flipping through an old reader of a module I took in Korea in 2007 called "East Asian Cinema: From National to Transnational", and I found an article by my now-lecturer of the one module I'm taking now called "Asian Cinema".

Sadly, even though the two modules sound similar, they aren't really. For one had a specific focus about the evolution of specific national cinemas while the latter is much more broad and general.

I launched into my first reading of the semester which looked at the form and style of Chinese cinema, apparently the article tries to compare it to Hollywood in order to distinguish a form of cinema, and found that some aspects were downright similar and some more geared towards European cinema. And that Taiwanese art films, stubborn and rebellious like its political inclination, tries to move against the mainstream and goes all Italian Neorealistic. (Read: uber long takes)

Well, it shows that I DID read the article.

Which is a good thing. Because I was about to talk about my state of loss during the past week. It was a real sense of being neither here nor there. I haven't quite gotten into the mood for school, with only 1 lecture and 1 tutorial to attend. Most of the clique have their lessons on Tuesday and Fridays, which means I won't see them at all or much. Probably won't notice if anyone shaved their head or got a haircut. The basketball team also experienced one loss- literally, while having matches and training on alternative days. The school, currently under construction, looks like a war zone and doesn't help either.

But, because I read the article, I felt the rush of blood to my head. That same rush which comes along when I'm feeling motivated. I think church today helped too, because I learnt about Jesus' parables when he was faced with the Pharisees' unreasonable questioning and boy, my Jesus is so smart! So, Deanna, focus and it will be done.

Now, to transfer this rush over to tomorrow so that the FYP can transit smoothly into the post-production stage.

And also emails be answered after a major lag. (Yikes)

Lastly, no blues on Monday please.

No comments:

Post a Comment