Monday, January 11, 2010

Hitched.




Before the sun was even up on Sunday morning, everyone in the Tan household, and a few other girls who were the bride's "sisters" were up and about. There, the sister sat in the chair in the wee hours, waiting to be made up.

As the sky began to brighten, the amount of activities increased and by the time I know it, she was dressed, veiled and ready to be married off. A party-pooper from downstairs came up to complain that we were making a lot of noise, which is ridiculous because whaddaya-expect-this-IS-A-wedding-duh!

At least the noise we made is once-in-a-lifetime!

Soon, the arrival of the groom was signaled by a mega-loud horn (which led to the Mother calling up the groom to stop him in case the stupid neighbour complains again), and the sisters were hard at work in preparing the "test" for the groom. There was chili, wasabi, vinegar, more wasabi, and whipped cream. (He hates wasabi)

He even had to read a poem and sing a song before they let him into the room.

Then it was off to the in-laws for the tea ceremony, and then back home for our tea ceremony.

I was the videographer for the morning's events, running up down left and right, and then coming back home to edit the whole chuck for the night's dinner. All I could think of was that it felt like another James Maraita assignment. I even spent the cocktail reception inside the ballroom, staring and waiting for the video to be compressed in my laptop for one whole hour while the rest mingled outside. I saw the hotel manager prepping his staff in the ballroom for the dinner, and waitresses asking "Can we change table to serve?" or "I don't like my table." The only person I mingled with was this waitress auntie serving table No. 1.

But finally, finally, it was done.

Dinner commenced, the videos I did was shown, (I thought it was too dark and too naggy, could have cut the video tighter), the Yum Seng came and everyone ate their food. It was then that I realised I was bored to tears. That's because the person who usually entertained me was the one getting married today! The one person who said during another cousin's wedding that she would hold her wedding at the void deck, and use wooden chopsticks that go "PIAK" (Bluff people), and then laugh hilariously to herself was sitting at the other table now, poised and awkwardly eating with the in-laws.

At the end of it, the groom got drunk, the bride changed surname and I went back home without one stupidly funny sister.

Aw.





1 comment:

  1. deenana!! is that you in the picture?!?! so pwreettyy!! haha :P

    ReplyDelete