Saturday, November 7, 2009

Tyra Banks says "I Don't Believe You"

My most significant memory of the last Media Law lecture was only of our Spike doppelganger lecturer showing a youtube video of Tyra Banks imposing her opinion on this poor Asian girl who was just trying to get prettier flaps on her eyes. While the girl tries to explain her stand, Tyra jumps in and snaps, "I don't believe you."

I half expected Tyra to whip out one piece of photograph amid a transition into the music which goes "You wanna be on top, top, top", and then blindingly blinking her eyes and going "The judges have commented that you wanna be white. Like me! Look at the hair weave, look at it! We all wanna be white."

Then she'll snap her fingers, shake that head in a diva "S" shape and screams "No go, girl."

These, are of course, figments of my imagination. But it goes to show how people can forget their respect for one another, and how easily they want to impose their views and standards. As one girl said in class, "Tyra ain't no Oprah!"

Yeap, Tyra's no Oprah.

But lest we flock immediately to Oprah, remember Mr James Frey and his Million Little Pieces of lies.

No comments:

Post a Comment