Sunday, November 1, 2009

Songs.

"I don't wanna fall to pieces, I just wanna sit and stare at you."
- Avril Lavigne's Fall to Pieces

When I blogged with the other, Avril-Lavigne inspired blog, it was teen-angst and many tiny little things. One practice I liked to do was to include lyrics of songs I like at the top of each post. Looking back at my old blog (with all the horrible sentence structures), I can't believe that time has flown so quickly that some of the songs that I've written on my blog are no longer on the radio.

I love lyrics. While the melody catches my attention, it is the lyrics that I remember and ponder over. It is the lyrics that has this reflective ability. In secondary school, I have this file where I print lyrics I love and slot them in. I'd stay in one corner of my bed, and try to memorise them, just for the sake of memorising them. And somehow, I'd invest a part of my present into it. The mood, the feelings and places.

As time works its course, the song goes into oblivion. However, when the song starts playing again anywhere, it triggers the part of the time line and boom, my memory's back. The emotions, the feelings and the mood, they all come back too. Listening to Michelle Branch's first album never fails to bring back the image of me buried in my desk, studying for O levels. Listening to Stephanie Sun's previous hits jolts me back to my year 1 days in university, and most specifically, the image of raindrops cascading down on the shuttle bus window. Then Fish Leong came, marking the rest of my university days.

I find myself listening to Avril Lavigne these days again.



Perhaps there's a yearning desire to be young again.

No comments:

Post a Comment