Monday, December 19, 2011

Go and Dye.



After my lil sister and my lil brother went to dye their hair as a mark of their freedom from their A levels, I got a little jealous and taa daa, guess who's the odd one out in the family now?

The answer is my dad. Everybody else has dyed their hair, including me who sold out my jet black thick bushy hair after 24 years.

In the past I had hoped for my mother to say "Eh! Go and die", and I would have promptly dyed my hair as a pun, but seriously, no mothers will tell their own kids to go and die. She never used that phrase, and so my hair remained black as a kettle.

It was an impulse choice anyway.

I was sitting down in the salon, waiting for my bi-monthly hair cut + treatment, when my hairstylist asked, "You want to dye your hair?"

"Ooooh.... what colour do you have?" I said, thinking that since Christmas is around the corner, why not try something new.

She took out a book, opened it and pointed it to one colour. "This one can be seen even when it's dark, but it's not so shocking, and I think you should be able to accept this."

Wah, she can read my rather conservative mind.

"What's a lighter shade?" I asked, thinking if I should be daring or not.

She flipped over a page and pointed at a colour that could be seen miles away, or that was what I thought it would do. "Ahhh.... I think I'll go with the first one." I said, once my eyes stopped bulging.

Hey presto, after 45 minutes of watching the lady put the dye on my hair, and then feeling that itch/ stinging sensation in the scalp, I see colour! In my hair!

It's really odd, actually. To see colour on your hair. Sorry, I'm a bit sua ku, but it was the first time I dyed my hair.

When I went home, my mother asked, "What colour is it?"

"Eh, I don't know." I answered. Some sort of brown, maybe.

When my dad saw me, he asked, "Who are you and what are you doing in my house?"

Well, I think a bit of change is refreshing, especially when you're 24 now and you're still hung up over the fact that only ntuc income and a travel insurance agent who is not your friend at all were the only ones to sms you Happy Birthday perhaps due to the fact that I set my birthday to be hidden on Facebook.

NTUC Income leh! Wah lau eh!

Aiyo, I'm so petty!

Ah, the older you get, the less presents you get too. But of course, I'm grateful for those who remembered without having to rely on FB, hello Yanyan who wished me way in advance and for those who gave me lil' presents here and there.

Thank you. Now let me remind myself that I had a great birthday in Taiwan to get over the fact that only NTUC Income and the travel insurance agent whom I bought the insurance for SHANGHAI wished me happy birthday.

Oh gosh, I can't stand myself.

But nevermind, I've dyed my hair already. Maybe I can stand the new me. Whoohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment