Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Drive Of My Life



Without a car, everywhere is bloody far.

Even worse now as they "su ka su ka" announce rising cab fares and increase in the number of peak hours. Everyone of my age is complaining, because everyone of my age take cabs like drinking water.

We work till after office hours and what happens when we have to rush from work to another commitment? Stick out that hand and flag lor, what to do? I take cabs 2 to 3 times a week after work, for basketball, for cell group, or for that faraway gathering somewhere not in town. Then, when we're all done unwinding for the day, gasp, it's 12am. What to do now? Stick out that hand and tell the uncle "Bishan st 13, thanks."

I know it's a really bad habit and it eats away what's left of the measly way-low sum they call my salary. Many a time Pearle and I seek to check into cab rehabilitation, and what turns out usually because a classic case of "The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak."

Sigh!

I think I was too pampared when I was in Uni, happily flashing about with the Toyota Rush as if there were no such thing as an oil crisis. These days, the only thing I flash about is my smile, accompanied by the question, "Did you drive today?"

See, I stooped so low that I described my own smile+question combo as a 下贱 attempt once to my teammates. Okay, the word 下贱 sounds quite harsh in hindsight, but I was like a hyena pouncing on every single potential car key-holding person.

I have a church friend, Cooper, who used to call me pretty every time I drove. I did the same, whenever he drove. Nowadays, most of the time, we're left disappointed by each other. "Aiyah? Why you not handsome today ah?"

Oh, SFB8119H, Anti You never seemed so far in my life before (except when I was in Year 1 and haven't gotten my license yet).

Now, Pearle, Sam, Xiu Hui, let's work out a way to get to the friendly game in Anti You without having to take a cab but yet not having to wake up that early....

Let's call the plan Mission Impossible: Ghost Cab Protocol.

No comments:

Post a Comment