Friday, September 25, 2009

The China Diaries Part 10- Heaven on Earth. 世外桃源

In the book Lost Horizon by James Hilton, a man gets kidnapped and lands on an unknown paradise called "Shangri-la".

We got ourselves to the place called "Shangri-la" in China from Tiger Leaping Gorge. This old town was originally called 中甸 but to increase tourism, the government renamed the place Shangri-la.

While there are disputes whether James Hilton's paradise referred to this piece of land in rural China, I can vouch with my own eyes that this land, at its very heart, is my sort of paradise.

This is the place where we cycled freely. We laughed and sang while we pedaled. We rode horses. For this one day, we were free from all troubles.

I loved it.




Before reaching, we saw plots of farmland along the road. They were really in pretty shades.



Our Youth Hostel, 老谢 Lao Xie's International Youth Hostel. Nothing but meadows surrounds the hostel.



Our ride.



We're off.



Singing, laughing.



Horse riding.



My horse, the furthest one, is also the naughtiest one.



The meadows and the animals in their own paradise.



While the rest rode in a single file, my horse had its own mindset.



I gave the horsewoman my polaroid and she was fascinated by it. This picture is of her and the horse, Tina.



Felicia makes sure she pens her thoughts before she forgets.



Cathy, in her own field of golden yellow flowers.



Driving into the rural town.



Checking out the shops. I bought most of my matchsticks here.



As day turned to night, we also started cycling back.



Playing pool by the outdoors.



Tired, but happy.



A good day begets a good night's sleep in a place surrounded by nothing but meadows.

No comments:

Post a Comment