Friday, December 31, 2010

What a year in 2010!-The Report Card

I wonder how many of you feel the same way about 2010. In a way, it has been a bittersweet journey, for I made a film, graduated, went to work (as an intern la) and found myself unemployed. And in that same period, went to Japan TWICE, Malaysia, Cambodia and Australia, and also went through so many experiences of life, so many firsts and I am just overwhelmed.

2010. What a year.

I just like to present a short report card, for my future self, in case I get Alzheimer's, because right now, I forgot how I spent last year's countdown. But thanks to this blog, I got my facts. (Last year I spent the evening with Sivalingam.) Note to self: This year, I spent it with Leanne, chasing fireworks and playing with sparklers.

So, here goes.

Best Moment Ever in 2010:

Standing backstage at the Float, during the YOG opening ceremony, and watching the sky burst into colours, shapes and magnificence. Buildings across the Singapore River shot tiny streams of green and blue into the sky, which exploded into bursts of light. Many, many, many times. The amount of fireworks burned into my retina that night was enough to last me (I daresay) a lifetime.

Stupidest Moment Ever:

Putting my bedsheets into the washing machine in a sleepy stupor, without realising that my brand new Nokia E71 crept in as well. It was massacred, with detergent no less, rinsed and then tumble- dried for 20 over minutes. By the time we found it, it was too late. The phone never recovered and was laid to rest immediately.

Surprisingly, the SIM card was still functional. Strong!

Stupidest Moment Ever #2:

Having to tell people how I lost their numbers because I put my phone in the washing machine.

Most Special Prayer:

It was for this Grandma in Cambodia. She complained of a headache and some pain in her body. It was also probably the first time I had to pray for someone, and it was special, because I was desperately crying out for God to heal her. After the prayer, she didn't open her eyes and stood still. I was so afraid that she died or something. Oh no! I thought to myself. Is she okay?

Thank God, she was okay. She opened her eyes after we sat her down, probably too weak to stand for long.

And she told me her headache disappeared afterward. Praise the Lord!

Most Special Prayer #2:

My secondary school friends are a special group of people who are dear to my heart. When there was an "assignment" by my cell group leader to get together with friends and catch up, to pray for them if necessary, I jumped at the chance. One of my friends, she's really cute. She asked for God to help her lose weight. But specifically, 1kg at the left arm, 1kg at the right arm, 2kg at the stomach, 1kg each for each of her thighs. (Did I get it right? Haha) Meticulous. And so cute!

Worst Moment Ever:

When I had to give this grown up Caucasian man 3 technical fouls for throwing consecutive insults at me. After the game, he came to me, argued with me and at the same time, insulted my integrity again. My reply? "Go learn how to be a basketball player before you try to teach me to be a referee."

Worst Exploitation Ever:

When in making a short film, the shared budget included having to pay for the cigarettes of the director.

Most "I Feel Old" Moment:

When Ros taught Adrian, Cathy and I the dance steps to our self-produced mini-musical at a corner of *scape Youth Park. We chose a secluded corner so we would not feel too embarrassed near the aura of all the Shakiras and B-Boys who were practising there as well.

Most Memorable Gift:

A small pink container, with the hand drawn picture of a little girl flying a kite, with her bicycle parked at the side.

Most Memorable U-turn:

The one I keep missing. It's at this road near Sengkang McDonald's, somewhat hidden to the naked eye until it is too late, and yes, it gives me fond memories. Fond memories indeed.


I could go on and on, but I think I'll stop while I'm ahead. Ups and downs, lefts and rights, firsts and seconds, I have nothing but thanks and gratitude.

To an awesome 2011!

2 comments: