Tuesday, November 16, 2010

An iPhone 4 is no longer cool.

I was looking for a mobile phone to purchase, since I have been working quite hard with my unofficial full time job- refereeing. Every piece of the moolah has been earned with blood and sweat, not so much blood, but believe me, a lot of sweat has been involved. Just ask my mum who has to wash my uniform and pants.

So, basically, in this era where Steve Jobs is literally the iKing of coolness and turtlenecks, of course my first option will be an iPhone 4. But, a few weeks back, a referee who is around 50ish was spotted carrying the phone. No offence, but you know how the older folks look when they try to use their fingers to swipe the phone, pausing in between swipes so they can lower their eyes on their spectacles to get a good look on the words.

It was a minor setback. Many other people still use it, right? Like University students, like teenagers, like kids.

But today, oh boy, today, I have come to the conclusion that it is no longer cool. My own Dad whipped out his shiny new phone, and just by looking at the contours, I hyperventilated and screamed "YOU HAVE AN IPHONE 4?".

(The hyperventilation is an exaggeration.)

"Ya." He answered. "Even Uncle Sim have wad. Raja (the Indian national working at his company) also have."

Nooooo. No. No. No.

The definition of coolness lies in its exclusivity, in how it oozes uniqueness. When I saw my Dad's iPhone, there were 3 other iPhone 4s around, and one other iPhone 3Gs which looked sad and out of place. When there was a ringtone (somehow all their ringtones are the same- did Steve Jobs have anything to do with it?), everyone young and old reached out for their phone. The young felt for the vibration, the old put the phone to their ear to make sure it was theirs. It was an iPhone party. (I wanted to say orgy but old folks and orgy don't go well together I'm sure)

And it led me to think immediately, "Now how about a Blackberry? Or a HTC?"

No comments:

Post a Comment