Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Shanghai Shenanigans Part 12- The Great Firewall of China Versus My Life Story

So the nice Chinese people in Beijing gathered together, spoke Mandarin that sounded as if they had marbles in their mouths, drank some cloudy precipitation that looked like milk, ate some rubber salmon. Some guy, probably a jolly old man who sport the exact same hairstyle as their dear leader, then raised his hand, decided that the sheer amount of people blogging about their lives, for example the sushi they had for dinner, may just somehow lead to a revolution against the government, and pushed the big red panic button.

Then boom! “The connection to the server was reset as the page is loading”.

And Blogger.com is now off limits to us poor sobs that desperately want to share our lives with the rest of the world. The things we do now are meaningless because we no longer have a platform to talk about our latest conquest, buy, gossip, feeling and most importantly, we cannot show off.

“See, see what I did today! I licked Great Wall leh. You never lick right? Neh neh ni bu bu.”

Damn!

Other than this little irritating piece of profanity I have to contend with, my life here is pretty much turning into routine. Work is getting heavier and becoming something like a blessing and a curse (but of course, more of a blessing than a curse), while my social life can be considered basically almost zero, since I choose to be a hermit and stay at home all day on Sundays while my housemates go for their community work. As a matter of fact, I think I function like a lone ranger these days. Which has been the way I have functioned in Singapore, like always planning my timetable on my own. Today I stayed home to catch up on some work, while the housemates went on a shopping spree (Ah Soon went to school), and went to meet them for dinner after I was done. They were late, so I walked around People’s Square by myself, enjoying the cool evening. I also suspect that I’m becoming more and more irritating to boot.



(A few days later)

My fellow intern so graciously taught me how to beat the system. Check it out, I'm BLOGGING. Neh neh ni bu bu. Okay, problem solved. No more ranting-- for the time being.

No comments:

Post a Comment