Friday, July 16, 2010

Welcome to Work.

Hidden near the end of Tanglin Road is 1 Kay Siang Road, and there, the ex-Ministry of Education building stands, now with a new coat of green and other brightly coloured paint. With steep slopes that Jack and Jill will have a nightmare of and only one lift that serves the entire 12 stories of people, welcome to the official Youth Olympic Games building.

If you don't know, I've been working there for the past 1 month (with a little bit of disappearance here and there for my overseas trip) in this building as an intern with the New Media team. My boss is the Youth Guru, and she has a mean Hong Kong accent.

My job scope is basically quite simple, I shoot and cut videos. Sometimes we would go out to interview athletes, or people involved in this major event, and I like that our interviews have a vastly different angle from the things that main media cover. Look below to see some examples.

Working alongside me is Vicson, who, when being introduced, will often induce disturbing glances from people. And I have to reply with this: "No, I'm not calling my colleague a vixen, but his name is Vicson. Really. Really really." We do the same things basically, only that he has an additional role- the Equipment Manager AKA the Storeman. He is talented in photography, and can often be seen playing around with lenses and rolling technical jargon off his tongue.

Also in the same team is Amanda Wang, who, because she bears the namesake of our boss, is now reduced to being called "Wang Wang". Quite auspicious I must say. She writes articles for our youth microsite, whyohgee.sg and also help in designing opening frames for our videos.

The three of us are squeezed into a small little room called the "New Media Lab" at the start of the hallway on the 8th floor. What is good about the room is that nobody knows what we're up to during the day, except if they come into the room of course. And we do get the occasional visitor, AKA Kelly, who likes to come in to relek a little and her reason for coming in is to be among the young so she can feel young again. (BTW I'm the oldest intern there so far! Yikes)

Well, I hope you enjoyed the little introduction. After the Games is over, I'll be jobless!

And no... I don't go (*drum gestures*) "Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah...", not even when I am really stressed.


Below is a short snippet of how Kelly "disturbs" us.




She tried to tie a bun on my hair!

Below are two interviews which I cut. The first was an interview with a BMX cyclist from Japan, and the second was with the Singapore YOG basketball girls team.







And.... this is my boss. The one and only Youth Guru. Yes, don't blink. Some of you may find her familiar.



If you want to watch more, you can always go to youtube and type "Youth Guru". She does have a long legacy and you'll probably be digging out all her videos soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment