Monday, January 11, 2016

The Diary of a Crazed Editor (or are you sure you want to be in Post Production?)

This is my log from 11pm on 12 Jan 2016.

It is a day, no a night, in the life of an editor. Think twice before you think post production is fun.

The situation:
I have 3 things to do. Export 2 episodes and edit, then export one more episode. I thought I could do it after the freelance editor does his changes and presents it and leaves, as I needed the computer in the editing suite. Turns out, he took the whole day and he still wasn't done.

Finally, he left around 10.45pm. And so my "night shift" started.

My esteemed reader, you must also know the fan in my office server isn't working today. So it goes beep beep beep, pause, beep beep beep, pause and repeat until tomorrow morning when the IT guys come to change the fan. 


11:40pm

Premiere Pro got stuck at 6% of export. The beeping is getting to my head. Two bangs of the table just so I can clear murderous thoughts in my head. Restarting computer. Goes to my computer and tries to relink files. A few thousand missing files. Okay. This will test my patience. Asked self why did editor changed root folders and make things so hard to find?

11:56pm
Had to wait 3 minutes before I can restart because was copying files. Longest. Three. Minutes. Ever. I wondered if I could have a more meaningful life than this.

12 midnight
Finally, restarted the computer and opened Premiere Pro CC2015. The icon kept jumping. Seriously if it hangs again....

12.03am
Programme launches. My life has meaning again! But the edit loads.... Slowly. Ah damn. The other computer is still showing "locating media". Brilliant multitasking isn't as brilliant after all.

Shut up beeps.

1.12am
Attempt number 3. Updated my QuickTime. Deleted unnecessary files. (Why are there 4 layers of video when we only need one? I need to write a rule book on this). At this moment I hate all editors, including myself. Had banged on table at least 4 times and stomped feet. Luckily no one is in office but damn, I am so pissed right now. Exporting just segment 3. Ok it went past 6%. There's still hope but I am still raged up.

Those *beepin* beeps!! Shuuuusshhh Artooooo.

3am
It seems that tidying files and updating QuickTime did the trick. I now have 2 segments under my belt. I feel a little invincible now. Finally a break from the horror. Also a break because am in the toilet and typing this. Will wash hands, don't worry.

Oh, and I've also finished my changes for the third episode. Awesome possum.

3.09am
Maybe I got happy too soon. Trying to open another episode crashed Premiere again. Oh why oh why?
Current score: Adobe Premiere Not-So-Pro 3, Sleep deprived editor 1.

And now the computer doesn't want to restart because Premiere refuses to force quit. Great. 

3.10am
The great mouse click war begins. I'm clicking till you force quit yourself, Premiere Pro! 

4am
Just checked the second episode and I just need to render a few parts and export is imminent... In 10 mins. I can smell my bed.

Also spotted 1 mistake from another editor. Haiya... But surprised at own alertness at 4am in the morning. Not too shabby eh.

4.09am
Looking at Facebook while things render. Hmmmm... Patience young padawan.. If I use the force, I can tune out that incessant beeps.

5.06am
Two episodes down, and just checked my last edit. 30minutes for the export and another 15 for uploading. An editor's job is really one of patience. Maybe I can cultivate my inner tranquility... Oh but wait, stomach's rumbling... Is it too early for breakfast?

5.25am
8 more minutes for the export toooo be dooone. And I think I hear school kids everywhere waking up.

5.27am
5 more minutes!! The excitement is killing me!!!!! Almooooooost there. If I am a superhero can I call myself the Exporter? My superpower will be rendering. Not rendering others unconscious. Just... Rendering.

5.32am
Stay awake! Stay awake! Anytime now.... 

5.33am
It says 100%! But er, the dialogue box is stuck... At 100%. What does that mean? Oh whew, it's done!

After much struggling with Google ( every piece of technology seems to be working against me at this juncture), it is uploading. But whhhaaaa.....tttt. 42mins for the upload?

That's it. I'm leaving it to upload. Getting outta here!

Update at 6.21am
I'm in my bed, still hungry, but I'll sleep it off. It's been a heck of a night. Goodnight all.


No comments:

Post a Comment