Monday, August 6, 2012

Look At The Stars, Look How They Shine For You

Last night, I was in a coach, en route to Larkin Central from Malacca. I was fast asleep in the beginning, but I roused from my sleep and started looking out the window.

It was dark. Except for the blinding headlights of vehicles that zoomed past on the opposite side of the road, it was pitch dark. At first, I made out 3 shiny dots in the sky. Hmm, they are probably satallites, I thought to myself. As my eyes adjusted to the darkness, I began to make out even more dots. Soon, I was craning my neck to look at the star filled sky in awe.

After a few seconds, I pulled my neck back into my seat. I looked around the bus, and because I sat at the last row, I could see everyone. Everyone was still. Some were looking forward, some were sleeping, some were stoning, but nobody seemed to notice the stars in the sky. Of course, when we boarded the bus, all the curtains were already drawn shut, and most of the people left it as that. But I didn't like it the moment I went on board, so I flung my piece of cloth to the back to my seat. Am I glad I did that!

It hit me, while looking at the scene in front of me and back to the brillant night sky, that the stars seemed to be a metaphor. God's brilliance, hidden among the stars, seem so far away, and so few. Some people won't even get a chance to see them, because they're so comfortable with where they are and how things are. They'll leave the curtains down and continue with their lives. And to tell the truth, most of us are like that. Most of us will go as we are, never once lifting our heads to look out and see the vastness of the world. Never once, to look for God. Or worse, thinking He does not exist when He's just up there, above our heads.

But you know, once you look up and see the stars, there's no way you can look away. Until the neck begins to tire, your eyes stay fixated upon the glory in the skies. Sure, you'll have to rest for a while after craning your neck for so long, and there will be people who arn't impressed, who draw back the curtains and continue. There will be people whose eyes are hurt by the blinding lights of the opposite vehicles. There will be people who think of that as nothing but huge balls of gas hanging up in space by rocket science theories.

I hope I will not be one of these people.

Look at the stars. Look how they shine for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment