Monday, February 13, 2012

Singleton's Day

I once had a Valentine,
whose eyes had a smile
and a grin so darn wide

This concept of love
took me utterly by surprise
what was it, exactly,
to make stubbornness stand aside

As the law of gravity dictates
what goes up must come down
I flew too high and lost control
Then crashed tumbling, tumbling down

short-lived and sudden
it was over, in a blink
And so the next Valentine's,
I was buying my own drinks

From then on,
I was on my own
A singleton, a simpleton
A cranky old soul, simply alone

In time to come,
I learned more about love
Not just to Valentines
But to friends, and a little brother.

Without this trigger
It might have stayed a myth
That love truly is
God's greatest gift

So I raise my glass to God
And celebrate this time
May we all learn to love one another
And a happy Valentine's

No comments:

Post a Comment