Sunday, September 19, 2010

The Japan Diaries- Memoirs of a Geisha Spotter Part 2

I have to admit something.

No matter how cultured I think I am, no matter how much I think I value an annual high end traditional Japanese costume parade, when I arrive, and I see slow moving sedans, scary looking costumed people, I realised that I, in fact, utterly lack the appreciation for such things.

So after a morning of wading through a small pool of people to get a good view of this annual procession in the Imperial Palace (I forgot the name, not surprisingly.) in springy Kyoto, we lost our attention, retreated to a spot after no more than 20minutes to play Monopoly Deal while the rest of the Japanese and other tourists ooh and ahh-ed at the painfully slow moving procession.

After that, it was a nice, slow picnic at the grounds of the Palace which I enjoyed very much. It was also the spot where we got a little red tinge from the sun- a little surprising, since we thought the sun in spring won't be as powerful as say, in summer. Our new friend Stephanie showed us her little rubber ducks, which her boyfriend back in Hong Kong made her bring, so that she could take pictures of the ducks in the various places she visits. Thoughtful, eh?

Well, it was off to another temple, shrine, and basically places of serenity and calmness. We went to the Love Rocks, where we saw seemingly desperate people try to walk from one Love rock to another blinded so that they may find true love. We saw superstitious kids in uniform trying to usher incense smoke into their pockets, so they may get good results. We saw a rope made of many many strands of hair, used in the past when they needed to make rope but had no raw materials. It sounds cooler than it looks really.

We spotted 2 more geishas towards the evening (SCORE-4 Geishas!), and I can't help but wonder what would happen if they tripped, or someone gave them a kick. With the kind of shoes they were wearing that defied physics, the consequences would probably by monstrous. Like Godzilla.

The night was spent having a great Ramen dinner in a small cosy Ramen joint with Stephanie. She made a deal with us that we would go to Universal Studios in Osaka together and so we did.

But that, my friend, would be another story.

No comments:

Post a Comment